Tuesday, March 9, 2004

- you know how a lot of advertising slogans and what not say something along the lines of "to us, you're a name, not a number". well, i spit on that.

- first of all, there are more numbers than people in the world. if there aren't, just make more. so at least with a number, you are individual. and while it's true that you could just make a new name, most people can't do that without ruining any chances their child had to hold their head high in the world. with a number, there is virtually no way that this john smith is going to be confused with that john smith.

- secondly, names are supposed to be a representation of people, and people are unstable. people are unsure, so what's the good of giving them a name? names, like people, change, and are no comfort when we're looking for stability. if my name were "elizabeth", people might call me "elizabeth" or "liz" or "beth"... some people might get technical and call me "eliza" or "abeth". but all that would just be for me. where's the certainty, yo? oh, right, with a number. if i was "725 648 977," there's not much you can do to that to make me unsure that it's me. and i like to be sure.