Saturday, April 3, 2004

- when i left my house today to drive maddie home, a thought ran through my head: "what if this is the last time i'm ever home?" it kind of creeped my out, but then, i'm weird, so i went on my merry way.

- on the way home from maddie's, i decided that i needed money, so i went to the drive-through at my bank. once i had all my cards and papers and bills and such in order, i went to the driveway thing and prepared myself to make a left across the busiest road in my city.

- i had probably been sitting there for about five minutes when i finally got a considerable break in traffic, so out i went. and out i stopped. that's right, my car stopped moving halfway across two lanes of traffic in the middle of the busiest road in my city.

- aah!

- my first thought was that i was out of gas. i looked at my gas gauge. it was more than half full. well, was i in the proper gear? yup, the big orange D told me so. "wait - drive? but... i'm going... backwards?"

- so my car had stopped moving for an instant, then it started moving backwards. to me, that was better than nothing - at least i was getting out of the road, a little. so my car put itself nicely back into the parking lot from which i had just emerged. did i say nicely? i meant that my front half was still halfway into the road.

- by this time, traffic had started making its way towards me. cars were forced to stop and go around and such. i honestly thought i was going to die, and the breakdown started. i started crying. i was just waiting for someone to come along and not be paying enough attention. as i watched one car make its way around me, it struck me as hilarious that the last thing i might see would be this carload of chinese people staring at me in awe, wonder, and surprise.

- i was incredibly desperate now. i decided to put my car into reverse, to see if it would be nice and reverse me into the parking lot. apparently, it was opposite day today; it went forward.

- after that, i'm not really sure what happened. i think i turned my key about a bagillion times, put my foot on the brake and gas pedals repeatedly, and probably changed gears a lot, too. finally, my car went the rest of the way into the parking lot.

- i don't know how i made it into a parking spot, as i couldn't even see at this point, and i also don't know how i managed to dial my phone number, but i talked to my dad and he biked up to rescue me. then i called maddie and cried at her. then i hung up and cried some more. then my dad got there and everything was better.